Pages

I love it all: embroidery, canvaswork, quilting, crochet. So much to do, so little time.





Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Fun at the Fair

Hey Blog Buddies,
How has your August been going?  It's Fair season here in the Midwest, and the Lake County (IN) Fair is going on all this week.  DH and I made a trip there today--here's some of what we saw.

There's always a flower show.
They have a whole building devoted to it.

I cruised through the building next door...
and saw lot of pigeons...

...and rabbits.

No Fair would be complete without a carnival.

Any guesses as to what these are?  No?
They're "coin blouses" -- one size fits most, 
they stretch to fit.
I found them in the Industrial Building.
You never know what you'll find there.
No, I didn't buy one.
 
 
You didn't think I was going to skip the Ag Building, did you?


 
What a beauty--all 890 pounds of him.
That's a lot of pumpkin pie!

 
I thought this bug was cute and clever!
So did the judges.


 
You can win a ribbon for your baled hay.

 
Who doesn't love gourds?!
If you're a gourd and you're big enough,
you even get your own chair!


 
I couldn't tell what type of produce it was
that they turned into Miss Piggy!



Peppers!


I thought that this mixed produce display 
that came in 2nd
was much more creative than the one 
that took first.
C'mon, tomatoes atop Greek columns with
peapods hanging off of them!  Genius!
But that's the thing about judging--it's subjective.

I have many more photos from the Ag Building,
but I'll spare you because
you're probably not as enthusiastic about this stuff
as I am.

Let's move on to Family Arts and Crafts.
Here's what I entered...

I was quite happy with my results,
even though I didn't win a ribbon
on everything I entered.
There are a lot of talented exhibitors out there!
It's just so much fun to participate,
and to check out how all your friends did
during Exhibitors' Night.

My large Newfie/St. Bernard friend
who works with the guy who makes animal tags
says "Bye--see you next year at the Fair."

Thanks for coming along!


14 comments:

Rita said...

Oh, your stitchings are awesome! My favourite is the pumpkin!

cucki said...

Wow lovely fair..
Beautiful stitching and the pumpkin is so cute too
Hugs x

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

YAYYAYAYAY!!! Look at all the lovlies and all your ribbons! You should give yourself a pat on the back! You did great!!! Thank you for sharing your fair with us :) Its much nicer than ours here in Monroe Co. Indiana.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Congratulations! I enjoy seeing the exhibits at the fair--the traffic to get to the fair not so much

Cathy said...

I'm from Lake County, IN and have been to this fair many times! So much fun! Thanks for sharing your visit. Fairs here in my area of Georgia are just not the same. Sigh.
Cathy
CraftyCat

Melody said...

Great job on your entries! I have never entered anything in our fair, or even attended it. You make me feel like I'm missing something fun. Maybe next year I will have to go. :)

stitchersanon said...

Nope: I love the fair stuff...veggies are def my thing lol. So much choice and I never realised hay came in so many colours...here in Ireland it is yellow..and that is all!

Linda said...

Congrats on all the ribbons. Loved seeing the fair pics.

Linda

Joyce Clark Frank said...

Enjoyed your pictures from the fair. Congr on all your ribbons, I think you should have won a blue on all of them. Our Fort Bend Co, TX fair is the end of September and I always enter some of my cross stitch.

Wendy said...

wow, well done, that's a lot of ribbons! The bunnies in cages made me sad though... why were they there?

Heather said...

Congratulations on all the ribbons!

And thank you for sharing pictures of the fair. I haven't been to one in ages.

Laney said...

OMG that's the biggest pumpkin I have ever seen!! Love all the fruit and veg displays and those flowers.

Well done your ribbons :)

Julie said...

What a pumpkin!
Such a lovely show, well done on your entries and their places.

Anna van Schurman said...

You may not have won a ribbon on everything but there were a lot of blue ones and what about those two big lavender ones? Congratulations!