Pages

I love it all: embroidery, canvaswork, quilting, crochet. So much to do, so little time.





Thursday, March 16, 2017

A Taste of Honey

Hey Blog Buddies,


Within the past week or so I've had a few finishes, 
and I've taken some other projects to the framer's, 
so it's time for a little show and tell.



First up, my two(?) or three-year project, 
Prairie Schooler's Alphabet. 
These letters always seem to take more time
than I think they should.

H has not been my favorite letter thus far
because it was a little repetitive.
On the other hand, once I stitched 
one of the bee skeps, or got started
on the flowering vines, I was able to use
what I had just stitched as the chart!

The H is also one of those problem letters
for those of us stitching this project as
one gigantic sampler.
Most of the letters are a uniform size
(70 x 100 stitches).
The H is larger, so I had to make the buds
opposite each flower smaller, and
chop off the ends of the bees' wings
on the top of the piece
in order to make it the
same size as the other letters.

But it's done!

I think the whole piece,
even though it's obviously unfinished,
looks so much more impressive
than the individual letters.

I'm putting this project on hiatus for a while.
I have to make some progress 
on my chapter's challenge piece,
Kay Stanis' Copper Illumination.
Wish me luck.

Next is my blackwork project,
Blackwork Journey's Wandering Star.


Here's where I left off...


Here it is finished and framed.
It's hard to tell from the photo,
but I chose a light purple frame
to try to bring out the purple quadrant
in the upper left.
I'm a little disappointed in the result,
but it is what it is.

Next up is Hands On Designs'
Underwater Basketweave.


This is what the model looks like.
It was my ANG chapter's February class.


I decided I wanted a sunnier colorway.
This was a fast and fun piece.
This will be finished either as a box top
or a small picture.
It's only about 5" x 5".

Speaking of small,
you've already seen
Permin's Two Horses on this blog,
but now it's framed.


The whole piece, including the frame,
is only about 6.7" by 7.2"
DH thinks the top (brown) mat
makes everything look too dark,
but the stitchers at my Guild said "No way."
What do you think?
The lighting has washed out the piece just a little.
It's somewhat darker all around IRL.

Finally, I have a new start to show you.


Barbara Ana's Funky Bird.
It's a fun piece.



Here's my start.

Well, that's it from here.
Hope your March is going well.
Thanks, as always, for visiting.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Another WIP Wednesday

Hey Blog Buddies,

I'm back, with just a tiny bit of progress on my Spring Logs piece.  You'll recall that the designer is Kathy Rees of Needle Delights Originals, one of my favorites.

I had gotten this far by the early part of January.

This is where I'm at now.
Pretty impressive, huh?
I'm officially at the halfway point.
The instructions for the green border
were to do every other row,
then fill in the skipped rows
in order to get a stripey look.
Since there's a lot going on with the various logs,
I decided not to skip rows as I stitched,
giving the variegated thread (Watercolours)
a more gradual change, which I prefer.
I find that the borders on these log designs
are the only things that actually take less time
to stitch than I think they should,
probably because they are such fun to stitch.

I flipped this photo around
so that you can get a better look at the stitches.
This piece will get put away
until next month.

I still haven't started anything new
as I threatened to do after my quilting finish
because I just don't like starting projects!
It's a wonder that anything gets started around here.

Well, that's it for today.
Thanks, as always, for visiting!

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

WIP Wednesday

Hey Blog Buddies,

Here lately I've been working on only two projects, so I thought I'd catch you up on the one you haven't seen yet.  But first, a Molly update.

She's Not Happy

First she had to go "under the knife"
and now there's this indignity.
She doesn't wear it all the time,
only at night and those infrequent times
that we need to leave her alone during the day.
I'm convinced she would chew open her stitches
if left to her own devices.
But other than hating her collar,
she is fine and acting like her old self.

Today we received the pathology report from our vet.
There's good news and bad news.
The bad news is that her growth was malignant.
The good news is that the vet removed
the entire thing (including one of her nipples!),
was happy with the margins,
and feels that the surgery will be "curative."
Let's hope so.

Back to the WIP.  A little while ago I showed this blackwork chart that I wanted to start...

...Blackwork Journey's Wandering Star.
Looking at the black-and-white chart above, 
it took me a while to figure out the star reference.
So I thought I'd make the stars a different color.

I will admit that some of the
filling patterns in this piece
almost make my head explode,
but I'm happy with how it looks so far.

That's it from here.
Hope your February is going along swimmingly.
Thanks for stopping by.

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Two Years and Three Months

Happy Ground Hog's Day, folks!  Woodstock Willie, our local prognosticator, saw his shadow this morning (bright sun all day today for the first time in forever), so that means six more weeks of winter.  January has been extremely mild and dry so far, so I wouldn't be too upset with more of same.

As for the title of this post, today I finished something that I've been working on for two years and three months.  OK, part of two years--I started it at the end of December last year--and part of three months.  I did work on it every single day in January, though.

...a bee skep...

...and a lovely gazebo.  You know what this is.



The Prairie Schooler Alphabet inches forward.

That's it for today.
Thanks, as always, for visiting!