The full moon is here once again, and I'm happy to report I did much better on my WIPocalypse list than I did last month--which was no progress on anything, so the bar was really low to begin with!
I finished Blackbird Design's Night Song Hallowe'en ornament. The photo is here. Also completed is part four of Laura J. Perin's Christmas Ornaments, Series 1, as reported earlier this month. The photo is here. And since I was in a Hallowe'en mood after putting up my small black tree, I decided to tackle Blackbird Design's Haunted House because I still have a lot of empty branches!
My linen was not as dark as the model's (it may not look that way from the photos, but, trust me, it is!) so I used darker-hued floss instead.
In order to make the house look a little more haunted, I "turned off the lights," opened the front door a little way,
made the chimney crooked, and added a couple of bats flying over the roof. Since I used DMC 3371 for the stepping stones, they look more like spiders to me. That was unintentional, but I like it!
Below is the stitched model:
Hopefully, the ornie will be finished-finished by Hallowe'en! I'm currently working on a little craft project but can't show it to you now, because it's going to be a gift!
Click here to see everyone's October WIPocalypse progress.
I hope everyone on the Eastern Seaboard of the USA stays safe from hurricane Sandy.
For the past few days, we've been having what has been described in a poem as "October's bright blue weather"--beautiful bright blue skies which set off all the glorious autumn colors on the trees, but it's been somewhat chilly. Great weather for stitching! But you could make a case that all weather is great weather for stitching!
So, on to the stitching. I made the last item that I'm planning on selling at the Quilters Plus Boutique (see shameless plug on my sidebar). It's a hardanger tree that I made earlier this year. The first version was white on white--you can see it here. I like this new red version better.
I used red congress cloth, #8 red perle cotton
for the blanket stitch and klosters,
#8 red Kreinik metallic for the eyelets,
and white #12 perle cotton for the woven bars.
The color variations are endless on this one.
And, since it's October already,
I finally finish-finished my two little Halloween ornies:
The owl from Prairie Schooler's Heads Up booklet...
...and the tombstone from the same booklet.
Very simple finish--just mounted the little pieces
on some matboard, then glued it to black felt,
with an orange ribbon sandwiched between the two pieces.
I'm also working on Night Song from the
BBD booklet "Tis Halloween."
I'll show it to you when it's done.
Hopefully, that will be finished and on the tree before the 31st!
This past weekend, Homewood Embroiderers Guild participated in the Pieces & Patches Quilt Guild Show--the best of both worlds--and what fun everyone had! The following are a very small portion of the photos I took on Sunday...
There's a lot going on in this photo--so many beautiful pieces!
Ummm, yes, I know it's now October, but I haven't done my September report yet and Measi, Mistress of the WIPocalypse, gives slackers like me a grace period. If being late isn't bad enough, I did nothing from my WIPocalypse list last month. Nada, zip, zilch--not one stitch. Not even Crabby. Blame it on commitment stitching. Oh, wait. I did have one tiny start/finish last month, which was not really part of my WIPocalypse list (and not commitment stitching, either)--it almost slipped my mind. Since you haven't seen it finished, might as well show it to you now...
This is Quaker Cardinal by The Workbasket.
He's quite chubby--must have been spending a lot of time
at the backyard feeder.
For the threads, I substituted Gloriana silks in
Poinsettia, Charcoal and Lacquered Gold.
If the red looks familiar, it's the same red
that I used for CT13. I had quite a bit extra.
Karen from the Guild will finish him as a stand-up.
He'll make a return appearance on this blog
when he's all finished-finished.
And now for the comic relief: my commitment stitching.
I crocheted a boa for my quilt guild boutique.
The instructions said to make a chain 70" long (quite long),
but it must have stretched out a little while I was crocheting.
It's now eight feet long.
I took it to my stitching retreat to finish it this weekend
(more on that in a separate post).
The ladies were very kind.
They said some teenager would want to buy it.
But I'm afraid it will come back to me.
So I'm exploring some home decorating possibilities for it: