Pages

I love it all: embroidery, canvaswork, quilting, crochet. So much to do, so little time.





Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Rose Watercolor Butterfly

Hey Blog Buddies,

I started a project a little over two weeks ago, and instead of stopping after a week and putting it in the rotation, I was having so much fun that I stitched right through, seeing what it was like to be a one-at-a-time stitcher again.  The name of the project is in the title of this post, but was it the butterfly that initially caught my eye?  No!  It was the...

...blackwork!
 
There is an alphabet...
 
...an Algerian eyelet border...
 
...and more blackwork.
 
At last, the butterfly!
This photo doesn't really do the colors justice.
There was a bit of confetti stitching,
but not enough to make me take a breather.
 
Rosewood Manor's Rose Watercolor Butterfly
stitched on a random piece of off-white 32-ct. linen
with the called-for DMC floss.
I really like the way this turned out.
You just don't expect to see a brightly-colored butterfly
in a blackwork piece!
 
Some of you may remember
the Prairie Schooler June blackbird that
I stitched up in June.

Well, it didn't get finish-finished until this month!
 
I guess it's not bad for a first try at this kind of finish.
I stuffed it with rice--in the past I've used only fiberfill.
I wasn't happy with the points of the ric rac sticking up,
but I'm trying to overlook that.
And the whole piece just looks sort of crooked!
I didn't find this easy to do,
but that's because I really don't sew much.
I'm just relieved that it's finally done.
 
I'm planning on doing the August one,
and I have no idea how I'll finish that!
Maybe I'll treat myself and have it outsourced!
 
That's it for now.
Hope you are enjoying your July!
Thanks for visiting!

13 comments:

Karen said...

Great finish! You're right, it's totally unexpected to see that bright butterfly in the corner and it looks spectacular!

Congrats on your rice pillow as well. I think it looks perfect! :)

Giovanna said...

They're both lovely finishes - congrats!

Julie said...

Congrats on both your finishes.The Blackwork looks all the more striking with the butterfly.

cucki said...

Such sweet finishes..so pretty...
Big hugs x

Julie said...

Stunning black work piece,the vibrant butterfly is beautiful.

Carol said...

Wow! What a stunning piece--really beautiful and unusual!

You're being too hard on yourself--your little PS piece turned out so well. Maybe you could put a little dab of glue under each ric rac point to get them to stay down? It's worth a try! The more finishes you do like this, the easier they will get--honestly :)

Chris said...

Gorgeous finish! I can see why you couldn't put it down. I think your finishing on the PS piece looks wonderful!!

Anne said...

Your butterfly/blackwork piece is stunning! And I'm very impressed with the way you finished "June." So innovative!

Sally said...

Wow your blackwork is beautiful.

Lovely PS finish.

Deb said...

Love the rosewood manor piece. It is quite unexpected to see a gorgeous butterfly pop out of the black work!
Your finishing pillow is not that bad. Just takes some time and practice. Can always "redo" the finish later.

Deb

Anne said...

Oooh! What a pretty blackwork/butterfly design! I love it! Your finish is great too. I think it's perfect!

Topcho said...

What a beatiful projetc! I love the combination between the colourful butterfly and the different kinds of blackwork <3

Happy Baker said...

Both are beautiful. Nice finish on the blackbird and the black work piece. You do such wonderful work!