Pages

I love it all: embroidery, canvaswork, quilting, crochet. So much to do, so little time.





Sunday, April 29, 2012

Colorplay

Hey Blog Buddies,

Just a quick update to let you know what I've been up to this week.  My rotation?  Noooo, but I've been thinking about it.  A lot.

I signed up for a class at Guild this coming Tuesday called "Colorplay" and we had prework:  pick a variegated thread with three distinct colors (not just 3 shades of the same color) and pick three contrasting solid colors from different families; cross stitch the outline of a small (approx. 3") square using the variegated thread on every other stitch; pick one contrasting solid color to fill in the missing stitches; use this same technique to make an off-center cross inside the square; use the same solid color and start at the top of the plus going down diagonally to the right to the next leg of the plus, hop the line, and go down diagonally to the left, etc., until you have a diamond.  Fill in the diamond to the inside, then to the outside, using all your colors at random, and sometimes skipping a line letting the ground show through.  Confused yet?  It should come out looking something like this:

For my variegated thread, I chose DMC 4215
containing blue, violet and pink.
For my solids I chose DMC 699,726 and 3341
(green, yellow and a salmon-y orange).
The yellow isn't quite so bright IRL,
so the piece isn't as irritating as
it is in the above photo!

What's next?
I'll find out Tuesday!
Stay tuned!!

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend.
Thanks for visiting!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds very creative, though those instructions are as clear as mud! Will be interesting to see what it turns into

Lelia said...

I have mine ready, too.

Unsure how many members signed up

Should be fun

Carla said...

I like the colors you chose. Can't wait to see what you do with it :)

Shaunterria said...

I cannot wait to see how this turns out - I think it is going to look fabulous :)

Faith... said...

Looks interesting...can't wait to see what comes next.

Joysze said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your version of this. :)

Unknown said...

I will check in on Tuesday, i love to see what you will make of it.

Hugs Yvon.