Pages

I love it all: embroidery, canvaswork, quilting, crochet. So much to do, so little time.





Monday, December 17, 2012

December IHSW - A Finish and A Start

Hey Blog Buddies,

This is the last IHSW for 2012, and it was a good weekend here for indoor activities such as stitching:  chilly, gray and rainy all weekend.  I did do things other than stitch:  got my Christmas cards done--another indoor activity.  But Christmas card writing is not what brought you here.  Let's check out my finish...

This is my fifth (of five) Laura J. Perin canvaswork ornament.
The first four were from her
American Quilt Collection, Holiday Ornaments-Series 1.
Not wanting to have to stitch a duplicate from there
(I plan on finishing the five as a cube),
I discovered a bonus ornament chart to go along with
her Red Hot Peppers chart which I also have.
I switched the colors around to make it Christmasy.

Here is a collage of the first four charts
to refresh your memory...


All five of these charts are at the finisher's as I write this.
They won't be ready for Christmas,
but I've got a headstart on the holidays for 2013!

Recently, I've been kitting up a lot of things for next year,
and I had a hankering to start one of them.
But I was good (surprise!) and went off of my 2012 list
and started Plum Street Samplers' Hare's Christmas.
I got more done than I expected...

The fabric is a pretty buttercream,
but the lighting was bad for all the photos.
I decided to stitch this one in hand,
and I think the stitching went faster.
Back in the day (waay back in the day),
I stitched most projects in hand,
but then went to Q-snaps.
Anything bigger than 6" x 6" is a little too heavy
(for me at this point)
if you don't have a gizmo to hold your work.
I have priced a couple of systems out,
and they are quite expensive.
So for now, this will be my
stitching method of choice.

Thank you so much, Joyce, for hosting
this fun SAL this year, and I'm looking forward
to joining in again in 2013.
To see what my fellow hermitters have been up to,
go to Joyce's blog.

That's it for now.
Thank you for all the wonderful comments,
and thanks, as always, for visiting!

15 comments:

cucki said...

very sweet stitching..and i love your finishes so much.
love x

Rita said...

Love your squares too!

Flora and Paws said...

Beautiful squares, so pretty. I like your new start too.

Heather said...

Wow, all those pieces are so lovely. Goodness, I really need to do more canvaswork.

Anne said...

Your ornament is absolutely beautiful!!! And I like the new piece - looks like a cutie. Great work!

Siobhán said...

Your ornament is so pretty! Love your Hare's Christmas progress, too. I'm a dedicated in hand stitcher. My fabric might look mangled when it's done, but it's nothing that an iron won't cure!

Chris said...

Such beautiful projects!
I love the little Hare start.
The Christmas blocks are just gorgeous!

Maureen said...

Gorgeous camerawork. Loving the colours.

Linda said...

Your squares turned out great. But, I'm lovin Hares Christmas.

Linda

Kate said...

Beautiful finish and a pretty rabbit :)

Carol said...

All five of your canvas work squares look wonderful!! And the little hare is just darling--looks like a very fun piece to stitch! I only stitch in hand, myself--just can't get used to hoops or q-snaps...

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

The Maiden said...

Wow those 5 ornies are amazing and the Plum Street looks so cute, love that hare!

mdgtjulie said...

Great stitching. I especially love the ornie patterns. They're just lovely. Happy Christmas to you and yours and a happy and profitable new year!

Sarah Beth said...

I love the canvas work. Is that mean its needlepoint? I love specialty stitches. What kind of fibers did you use for this project? I'm a new follower

Happy Baker said...

I love this as well, it looks so cute and makes me smile!