Pages

I love it all: embroidery, canvaswork, quilting, crochet. So much to do, so little time.





Thursday, March 20, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Golden Hands and Sunset

Hey Blog Buddies,
Thought I'd do a Throwback Thursday this week, not with adorable toddler or awkward teenagers photos, but with some of my favorite stitchy stuff from back in the day.

How many of you remember Golden Hands?  They were crafting pamphlets available for purchase in grocery stores (and probably craft stores, too).  They came out weekly in the early 1970's.  You could buy a vinyl-covered binder...


...to keep all the pamphlets in order.  The pages were numbered consecutively like a book.  There were instructions in all kinds of topics:

 Sewing!

Cross stitch!

Knitting!


Crochet!

Needlepoint!

Embroidery on Netting!
(This one I haven't tried.)

Smocking!

Tatting!
(Haven't tried this, either.)

Macrame!
(Yes, I dabbled in that back in the 70's)

There was literally something for everyone
in these wonderful periodicals.
My store stopped carrying the installments rather abruptly,
so I was not able to collect the entire set.
I believe there were supposed to be five books in all--
I have three.

One of the reasons that I've kept these books all these years is this...
Blackwork!
I still love those fish--they'd look great in my downstairs bathroom.
The article doesn't contain any chart, just the photo.
But it really shouldn't be that difficult to do.
Maybe someday...

I'll leave you with a Sunset kit.
Sunset made kits, sold at US craft stores like Lee Wards,
that could be made up into small (5"x5") cross stitch
or needlepoint pictures or pillows.
They were wonderful learning tools.
Here's one of the first needlepoint projects I stitched:

Great variety of stitches, and I still like the design!
This is circa the early to mid-70's, I believe.

Hope you enjoyed this blast from the past.
Thanks for visiting!

10 comments:

Julie said...

I remember my mother having Golden Hands magazine, she used to give it to my grandmother after she had read it ....I wonder what happened to their collection.

Minnie said...

Golden Hands looks great and I think I still have a couple of those early needlepoint project too.

Moonsilk Stitches said...

I don't remember Golden Hands at all! I do, however, have very fond memories of Sunset kits--I learned a lot from them. Thanks for the memories!

Melody said...

I think I remember my Mom having some of these....

Eugenia Maru http://lulurulitos.blogspot.com said...

De todo lo que muestras del libro, sólo sé hacer punto cruz, lol.
Muy lindos trabajos.
Saludos desde Chile
Maru

Mouse said...

oooo its a bit like our readers digest books ... had a a bit of everything in and how to do ... still have the book and refer to it every now and then :) love mouse xxxxx

cucki said...

Wow beautiful treasure ...
Happy hugs for you x

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder of those wonderful books. I have the whole hardcover set! Will have to get them out to peruse!

CathieJ said...

Those crafting books are great! I have never seen these before. I keep all my old magazines from the 80s on and have inherited some from the 60s. I am so dating myself.

Sheryl said...

I still have the collection and the lovely blackwork fish design I made and can be seen on my blog. I moved to Spain and was unable to finish the collection completely.